Skip to main content

Oh, The Places You'll Go...

The world is literally at your fingertips.

Any world you want. Any world you are willing to create with your mind and beyond in the world of books. Anyone that knows me knows that I am complete bibliophile. It started when I was little, reading my bible by the nightlight, and other books thereafter. Insomnia was my best friend even in prepubescent years. I battled dragons, fell down rabbit holes, entered tollbooths with clocks as dogs, and had a prince on a white horse in the end. When the book ended, it was almost surreal. How could this be? Here I am, with this imagination far beyond my brain can comprehend and the world keeps ticking as if this other world doesn't exist. I craved more. Wanted more day by day. Where friends lacked, books were my comfort. They taught me unique words that surprised my Mommom.

"Cumulonimbus clouds. Yep. It's gonna rain," said a wiser me, looking outside my grandmother's silver Celica, waiting for the oncoming storm to come.

I never forget her telling the world that I predicted the rain that day, even when the sun seemed to shine.

I knew that these books could take me so many places in my dreams and beyond. Expand my creativity. Soon, my poetry began to expand and my love for it grew. No one or nothing can keep me from a book.

Pick up a book and read today.

There are great resources to read. Visit local used book stores or thrift shops. Go to a Dollar Tree store and visit the small section for former best sellers and such. Or, go online. Here are some great resources for online reading:

1. Open Library.Org : Open Library Organization This archive has over 1,000,000 free ebook titles and also has DAISY, or Digital Accessible Information System enabled for people to access materials specifically designed for blindness, dyslexia, impaired vision, and such.

2. Project Gutenberg: Project Gutenberg Project Gutenberg offers over 40,000 free ebooks: choose among free epub books, free kindle books, download them or read them online.

3. Librivox: Librovox Librovox provides free audiobooks for public domain.

4. Internet Archive: Internet archive Organization The Internet Archive is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that was founded to build an Internet library...Now the Internet Archive includes texts, audio, moving images, and software as well as archived web pages in our collections, and provides specialized services for adaptive reading and information access for the blind and other persons with disabilities.

5. Library of Congress: LOC The Library of Congress is the nation's oldest federal cultural institution and serves as the research arm of Congress. It is also the largest library in the world, with millions of books, recordings, photographs, maps and manuscripts in its collections.

6. Feedbooks: Feedbooks.com Feedbooks offers public domain books and original titles by Indie authors.

7. ManyBooks Network: ManyBooks.net This network offers titles for Kindle, Nook, and iPad all for free.

8. Amazon.com offers both Popular classics for free via Kindle, and also has an ever changing free Kindle Popular titles list.
Amazon.com Free Classics for Kindle
Amazon.com Best Seller Paid and Free Sections

9. Kobo: Kobo.com Free ebooks with apps,some sign up required.

10. B&N: Free Nook Books all the books available for Nook via Barnes and Noble.

Keep in mind that this list is limited, and there are other sites that may let you borrow books and so on, but freebies are always a good thing. You can also check out your local library's website to borrow ebooks, as e-lending is a great way to keep up to date with the latest novels, not just classics and Indies. Free apps for Kindle are available on your smartphone, computer, or perhaps your tablet, so you don't need to necessarily own a Kindle device to read.

Got any more suggestions? Sound off in the comments.

Keep on reading. Oh, the places you'll go.




Comments

Type in Search Query Here

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Poetry: Rhyme Scheme

Exploring Poetry Styles: The Bop

A Runaway Slave Writes A Handwritten Letter To His Wife of Freedom. I Hope She Got It.

Understanding Poetry: Naani