Skip to main content

Day 31: The Best Poetry of the 20th Century. Seriously.

Day 31 in #BookSpine365. Visit a title a day from my bookshelf. The final day in the first month of the project. Eleven more months to go. Huzzahs are in order. 

I adore anthologies. I get a little smorgasbord of some of the best (and sometimes not so great) poems that I adore, and venture into new territory. This beloved copy of mine The Voice That Is Great Within Us explores the genre of American poetry of the 20th century.
I'm talking some of the greatest names in the game here: Frost, Ezra Pound, Patricia Low, Robert Kelly, Eliot, Ginsberg, Marianne Moore and so much more. My mass market paperback has yellowed a bit at the edges, but is barely wrinkled. I have several book markers in for my favorites, including An Undefined Tenderness by Joel Oppenheimer, I Am Not Yours by Sara Teasdale and my favorite poem of all time: 

I Like My Body When It Is With Your 
by E.E. Cummings.
i like my body when it is with your
body.   It is so quite a new thing. 
Muscles better and nerves more. 
i like your body.   i like what it does,
i like it's hows.  i like to feel the spine
of your body and its bones, and the trembling
-firm-smooth  ness and which i will 
again and again and again
kiss,  i like kissing this and that of you,
i like, slowly stroking the, shocking fuzz
of your electric fur, and what-is-it comes
over parting flesh....And eyes big love-crumbs 


and possibly i like the thrill


of under me you so quite new
~e.e.cummings 


So you see, this 722 page book holds quite a remarkable piece of history and lovely literature. I will always treasure this title. Especially the book smell. Ah, the book smell. 

Book Details
Author: Anthology/Various. Hayden Carruth.
Format: Poetry.mass market paperback. 722 pages. ©1970 Bantom Books
Contents: half title page, acknowledgements, dedication, foreward, table of contents.

-brrivera





Comments

Type in Search Query Here

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Poetry: Rhyme Scheme

Exploring Poetry Styles: The Bop

A Runaway Slave Writes A Handwritten Letter To His Wife of Freedom. I Hope She Got It.

Understanding Poetry: Naani